Little Boy Borrowed

24 Feb

it's a...MAY YOUR SOUL STIR Monday! F

He was restless and bored, rapidly getting into mischief. A toothbrush here, a pair of socks there; all toys to a little boy displaced by a tornado.

In a Red Cross shelter, others were restless and bored too, but this boy needed attention…and a diversion. As a volunteer I felt it my obligation to provide just that.

With a well-chosen puzzle, I gathered him for some fun. Sitting on the floor with a coffee table as our headquarters, we undertook the mission. Between mini bouts of frustration, and mini stints of celebration, we completed the challenge.

But that wasn’t enough. He needed more and so did I. A ping-pong paddle and a giant ping-pong ball became our next contest. Working with him ever so patiently, I taught him how to push the ball towards me from different positions. This new game kept our devotion for a long while; with the exception of a moment.

The moment I looked up to see tears lingering in his mother’s eyes. She was sitting quietly by, watching as her son interacted in play. In response to my inquiry, her answer “He’s autistic. He goes to a therapist, but he’s done more in these few minutes then he has in all those months.”

As we walked away, she uttered few words of appreciation. Crying while expressing because he’s different, he is often ignored or ridiculed, and the kindness was priceless.

Later that night, I cried too.

8 Responses to “Little Boy Borrowed”

1. Kathy February 24, 2014 at 7:48 pm #

That’s the inspiration I’ve been lacking!! Thanks for the post…….been missing them! Good story!

• May Your Soul Stir™ February 24, 2014 at 8:32 pm #

Going to post more regularly. You can look forward to some Monday “lift you ups”!

2. Becky Young February 25, 2014 at 7:54 pm #

What a great and uplifting story. I needed that today!!! Thanks.

3. Unshakable Hope February 26, 2014 at 11:43 am #

Inspiring story. My nephew is Autistic and my sister has some horrible stories about comments and actions from people in public and I am sure this mom had too.

• May Your Soul Stir™ February 26, 2014 at 1:44 pm #

People just amaze me, good and bad. But this little boy…such a blessing to me that night.

4. D.G.Kaye March 3, 2014 at 5:24 pm #

A truly inspirational story. Sometimes it only take a few kind words and a willingness to reach out. 🙂