Peace and Quiet

18 Feb

Eye compresses, three to five minutes, twice daily…my ophthalmologist’s instructions for extra relief of severe dry eyes. In desperation, I tried it.

Often when I close my eyes, I can’t close my thinking too. My body lays idle, but my mind races. This time, no different, and amidst all the thinking, I had an unusual thought. How about not thinking. I convinced myself to shut it off, to quiet the room and quiet the mind. No TV, no Facebook, no music, no talking, no planning, no analyzing, no praying, no nothing.

But I couldn’t do it. The nothing turned into something. It turned quietly and simply into…peace.

8 Responses to “Peace and Quiet”

1. Gwen February 18, 2014 at 10:56 pm #

Excellent!

2. David Barr February 19, 2014 at 8:36 pm #

Sounds like better advise then my Opti he put a piece of tape over my eye and told me to come back tomorrow Ching Ching $$$ for another visit. Should of stayed with contacts instead of Lasak. Love ya cousin

• May Your Soul Stir™ February 19, 2014 at 9:04 pm #

I’ve heard that lasik is brutal on dry eyes. Hope they get better! I’m off soon for my quiet time and compresses. Try it!

3. Airstream Nancy February 24, 2014 at 4:56 pm #

This reminds me of how my brain works when I’ve tried to do yoga. I just can not concentrate on yoga. My mind races to all different things. My friends tell me that this is why I NEED yoga, but, I reject that idea!!!

If I’m meant to think about nothing, than maybe I shouldn’t have a brain at all. Your thoughts?!

• May Your Soul Stir™ February 24, 2014 at 6:12 pm #

Actually, I think all those racing thoughts are trying to tell me something. I just sometimes need a break though, and usually when I’m able to shut them off, I hear what they’re saying!

4. Reva April 5, 2014 at 2:04 pm #

That’s a smart answer to a difficult question.