Learning to Grow

9 Dec

Excel spreadsheets. That I knew. Word documents. Not so much.

I could use bold, cut, paste, and even highlight, but now I was a writer and it was time to know more. My dream of publishing a book required more knowledge and a massive list of to-dos.

But the things I had begun to list…most of them, foreign. Copyright, trademark, ISBN, bar code, cover design, formatting, marketing. What’s a domain? And how do I get one? What does print ready really mean? What’s the difference between publisher and printer? Library of Congress? Books in Print? Really? REALLY?

So, wide-eyed and curious beget an expedition to learn. If I didn’t know it, I looked it up. Thank goodness for Google, website forums, and help menus! I read and read. I played and maneuvered and practiced; until I felt it was enough. I borrowed my well-read daughter to edit and I contracted a home town book binder to print. With a near nothing budget, I proceeded.

And I did it. And I’m proud.

My first book delivered and my first book is worthy. It may never make it to a brick and mortar bookstore, but it’s worthy. It’s my building block and foundation for more.

How about you? What is that aspiration you’ve yet to conquer? If you’ve read my book “I opened to voices that said yes and rebelled to those that said no” you’ll understand how I got here. And those voices can help you learn to grow too!

Visit the Bookstore to read The Evolution of a Stir!

9 Responses to “Learning to Grow”

1. Bev December 9, 2013 at 3:24 pm #

Big hug!!! (party streamers and balloons falling all around, party horns blaring!) Congrats!!!!!

2. Home December 9, 2013 at 7:49 pm #

Mom has read your book and says you did a really good job. I hate to read (don’t know why I didn’t get that trait from mother) but I am going to read it. I borrowed 50 shades of grey about 8 mths ago and haven’t read it yet if that tells you anything lol. Keep up your hard work….I know it will pay off for you!

Merry Christmas and a prosperous New Yeat

• May Your Soul Stir™ December 9, 2013 at 8:34 pm #

Thanks so much! It’s a short easy read if that helps any. I think you’ll enjoy it and possibly relate to something in it.

3. An American Teacher December 9, 2013 at 8:14 pm #

This is great – I’m excited to read it!

4. D.G.Kaye December 16, 2013 at 6:59 pm #

You have just written my past year. I went through exactly the same and google became my best friend! My book will be out this Wednesday and congrats on yours!

• May Your Soul Stir™ December 16, 2013 at 7:50 pm #

As you know, it’s been quite the experience. I prayed for a mentor, but was forced to do it alone. But that has just added to my pride. My wish for a large successful launch for you! Would make for a great Christmas!

5. D.G.Kaye December 17, 2013 at 8:47 am #

Thank you so much for your kind wishes! I know exactly what you went through, it was a long lonely road. I was grateful for all I had learned and for those ‘angels’ along the way that helped me in the dire times. I was blessed to befriend a wonderful author friend who helped me when I got stuck. And yes, isn’t it gratifying to look back and see how far we have come! 🙂