Our Christmas Miracle

26 Dec

I spent the day with her…our Christmas Miracle.

Christmas Day in the hospital…certainly not idyllic circumstances, but compared to just one week earlier…a very Merry Christmas indeed.

One week earlier…my mom rushed to the hospital and began the fight of her life.  Kidneys shut down, no pulse, pneumonia, heart functioning abnormally, unconscious and unresponsive. Unknown to us at the time, an infection was ravaging her body.  Dependent on breath from a machine, her outlook was bleak and dismal.

There were brief moments of hope, but many more moments of despair.  If she survived, most certainly there would be brain damage.

We talked to her.  We held her hand.  We cried…and we prayed.  Who could know that just one week later…we would celebrate Christmas with her in a private room?  No brain issues, no heart issues, functioning kidneys and her lungs breathing life into her.

We get to talk with her now, rather than to her.  When asked how she made it…she speaks with a firm and simple reply.  “God”.

14 Responses to “Our Christmas Miracle”

1. karenworth December 26, 2012 at 9:31 pm #

Praise God!

2. Darla December 26, 2012 at 9:35 pm #

Prayers for you all!!!

3. Jeanie December 26, 2012 at 10:12 pm #

We thank God for answering ours (and I know many, many others) prayers! Please give our love, hugs and kisses to everyone!

4. Paula K December 27, 2012 at 8:25 am #

This was for sure a miracle. Can’t tell you how thankful I am to have her back with us and doing so well. I continue now praying for God to give her the strength needed to go home and then to be able to get back to taking care of herself like she’s done in the past. I love her with all my heart and couldn’t have asked for a better mother.

5. Bec Bec December 29, 2012 at 6:13 pm #

Wonderful story my friend!!!

6. Jeanna December 30, 2012 at 10:04 am #

A CHRISTmas miracle indeed!